The Kona EV is the first-ever electric SUV from the South Korean brand that went on sale in the country in 2019. Here are five key highlights of the all-electric SUV.
The Hyundai Kona electric SUV is the first fully electric SUV that was introduced in the Indian market in 2019. The South Korean carmaker took a very bold step to launch its first all-electric car in the country. The 5-seater e-SUV is priced in India at ₹ 23.77 lakh, while the dual-tone variant costs ₹ 23.96 lakh (all prices, ex-showroom). The Kona EV comes to India via CBU (completely built units) route and is locally assembled at the brand’s facility in Chennai. Here are five key highlights of the Kona electric SUV.
1. The design of the Hyundai Kona EV is not overly futuristic yet sharp enough to distinguish itself on the road. Dimensionally, it measures 4180 mm in length, 1800 mm in width, and 1570 mm in height while the wheelbase stands at 2600 mm.
2. The India-spec Kona Electric gets a 100 kW motor which sends power to the front wheels that is equivalent to 131 bhp and 395 Nm of peak torque. Globally, the Kona also gets a 150 kW motor, which makes about 200 bhp and 395 Nm of peak torque. It can sprint from 0-100 kmph in 9.7 seconds.
3. The interior of the Kona Electric sports a simplistic design. It comes with a floating 7-inch touchscreen infotainment unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, wireless charging, ventilated seats, heads-up display, leather seats, digital instrument console, bi-function LED headlamps, electric sunroof, ventilated front seats, 10-way adjustable driver’s seat, electric parking brake and more.
4. For safety, the electric car comes equipped with six airbags, ABS with EBD, ESC, VSM, HAC, disc brakes for all wheels, speed alert system, parking assist, reverse parking sensors, reverse camera, ISOFIX and more.
5. The electric SUV offers a range of 452 km on a single charge. The battery can be fully charged in seven to eight hours using a regular charger, while a fast charger can charge the battery up to 80 per cent in under an hour.